Wednesday, February 9, 2011

First of the Filler - Starry Night

It was month seven of my Starry Night BOM project, so we got the pattern and specs for the filler blocks in January. Very thrifty design, because you actually use the leftovers of the blocks to make the filler blocks. There will be 13 (lucky!) filler blocks in all, so there will actually be color duplicates.

In an attempt to try to learn how to piece more efficiently, I tried to make these two blocks simultaneously. I chose two of my favorite color combinations so far and dove in.



While I'm happy, overall, with the outcome, boy am I realizing just exactly how crooked my work is! The finished blocks are supposed to be 12 1/2" square. HA! Both of mine were 12" and a mighty crooked 12" at that.



My other observation is that when I press the finished block, clearly I press too hard, because you can see shiny spots! Eww, that's horrible!! I definitely need to press the finished blocks, it does help to make the lines look straighter and set the stitches, but I'm not sure if my iron is too hot, if I should only press on the back (I don't think this will cut it, though, in achieving my goal of straightening my blocks), or if I need a pressing cloth between?

What are your pressing tips?? I need them all.



I have to say, I love way the colors are coming out, and how they look with the black. I think the quilt will be beautiful when it's done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You got lucky! I went to buy the kit for the filler blocks and they told me it wasn't on sale yet :(

I never have used one, but have you tried using a pressing cloth over your block? I don't know if it will help, but I suppose it couldn't hurt.